How many times have you set nutrition goals only to lose motivation or come across a barrier and not achieve them? This happens to all of us! But I have the solution! And it is SMART! SMART goals that is.
The SMART goal method helps you to get precise about what it is you want to achieve, why you want to achieve it, and how you're going to get there. By identifying these factors you attach meaning to your goals and can create an action plan to identify what it is going to take for you to smash those goals.
Let's take a look at how we can make sure we are setting SMART goals...
Is your goal Specific?
Use the 5 W's (who, what, when, where and why) to create a specific vision of your goal.
- Who is involved in completing your goal?
- What is involved?
- When are you going to work on achieving your goal?
- Where will it take place?
- Why do you want to achieve your goal?
Is your goal Measurable?
- How will you know you have achieved your goal?
- What measures are you going to use to track progress? (e.g. serves of veg per day, weight, minutes of physcial activity)
Is your goal Achievable?
- Can you achieve your goal with effort and commitment?
- Have you got the resources you need to achieve your goal? If not, how will you get them?
Is your goal Realistic?
- Is your goal something you can realistically achieve?
- How confident are you that you can achieve your goal?
- How motivated are you to achieve your goal?
- What barriers might you encounter in achieving your goal? How can you overcome these?
Is your goal Timely?
- What is your deadline for achieving your goal?
By getting SMART about your goals you dramatically increase your chance of success. And we all know how good it feels to reach a goal! So if you're ready to get SMART about your nutrition goals and take charge of your nutritional health, book an appointment to come and see me in clinic and let's set some goals together!
Until next time,
P.s. If you would like a copy of my SMART goal planning worksheet this post is based on, like my page and message me on Facebook @SanctuaryNutrition.